Saturday, October 10, 2015

Never Give Up

Have you heard the story of the runner who forgets to pack her running sneakers and doesn't realize it until it's too late to go back for them? 

I've often wondered how someone could forget something so important. 

Yet, as I was unpacking in the hotel last night, the awful truth struck me: my running sneakers were not among my morning race gear but, in fact, back at home. Noooooooooooo!

So many thoughts raced through my apparently addled brain...

Can I go home and get them? -- Ugh, no, I didn't drive my own car.

Does this mean I can't run the race I've trained for the last few months? -- No way, not an option. 

Should I try to run in my Converse flat bottomed sneakers, which, as cute as they are, aren't even all that comfortable for walking long distances? -- Images of cute sneaks covering not-so-cute bloodied feet quickly came to mind. Gross, no. 

And still more. What time is it? Are stores still open here in Brooklyn? Can I get lucky enough to find my trusty Asics nearby?

In a mild yet growing panic, I headed down to the hotel concierge to tell them my embarrassing tale and find out my limited options. 

My first three shopping attempts were met with steel bar-covered doorways and darkened windows. At the suggestion of my friend we headed to one last option and, with only ten minutes left until closing, we grabbed a pair of sneakers off the rack. Definitely not my usual brand, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Long story short, I guarantee this is a mistake I will NEVER make again. 

I didn't earn myself a PR but finished in a very respectable time nonetheless. 

Never Give Up. 

Even when your knees are throbbing and you have eight miles still to go...even when you feel the blisters forming....

If you can still put one foot in front of the other, keep going until you cross that finish line. You'll be glad you did. 

I know I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment